Reading order issue

From: T. V. Raman <raman@Adobe.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:03:35 -0700
To: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Cc: WAI HC Working Group <w3c-wai-hc@w3.org>
I've pointed this out before and I'll reiterate:

1) Tree transformation and the like --especially in rearranging content in an
   aural presentation where the ordering is different from that in the visual
   presentation are too heavy weight an operation for today's CSS
   mechanism. These are better and more cleanly dealth with using DOM
   (Document Object Model) and perhaps XSL or a future revision of CSS.
   Simply throwing in a bunch of attributes into today's CSS will simply not
   work and prove costly in the long run

I would advocate taking the design Dave Ragget proposed a few days ago on this
list as an intermediate solution for improving (even if not completely solving)
the table navigation and presentation problem which today poses a major
accessibility roadblock on the WWW.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-129)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@adobe.com
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@cs.cornell.edu
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.html    (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.