Re: Dictionary link types

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> > The short answer is the RDF is intended to be used
> > to identify resources and make assertions about
> > what those resources are. So, you could say that
> > a resource exists at a specific URL and that it
> > is a "phonetic dictionary". Any application that
> > wanted to find a phonetic dictionary would look
> > at the list of resources identified and get that
> > resource.
> >

> Jason, is that concrete enough?  Or should we try to
> expand on this scenario to make it clear how it works?

Provided that RDF enables the dictionary resource to be described with
sufficient flexibility, then I agree that it offers the best solution. RDF
has not been mentioned in our previous discussions on this mailing list,
and I was unaware of it until today. Is there a specification available?

Returning to the immediate problem, what consequences would exploiting RDF
have for the definition of a dictionary link type, or does RDF avoid the
LINK element altogether?

The main requirement is that it be possible to associate several
descriptors with each resource, so that a dictionary could be described as
containing, for example, both abbreviations and phonetic data, as
exemplified in my earlier proposal.

The HTML 4.0 specification already defines a number of link types,
including glossary, index, contents, etc. Presumably at least some of
these are likely to be superseded by RDF in any case. Is that right?