Re: WCAG 2.1/2.2 errata pre-CFC

Hey Alastair,
Thanks for sending a head up on this. I'm generally not in favor of erratas
for all the problems it creates down stream, but this is clearly the
direction the group wants to go so I won't object on that ground. I do have
a few questions and concerns about the proposed changes though that I'd
like to see get addressed.

*New single-pointer definition*
This new definition seems to exclude path-based gestures from the
single-pointer input. That creates a contradiction with 2.5.1. 2.5.1
explicitly says a path-based single-pointer gesture is allowed if it is
essential. If single-pointer input is not path based, how can it be
allowed? The second problem with it is it changes the scope of 2.5.2. If
path-based gestures are not considered a single-pointer input, then using a
path-based gesture on a down event with no way to abort or undo the action
is now allowed. It makes this SC 2.5.2 more permissive than it used to be.

*Linking to definitions*
Several of the added use of the "text" definition seems wrong to me. The
biggest problem is linking images of text to text. The a WCAG "text" is
programmatically determined, whereas images of text seems to be explicitly
for text that is not programmatically determined. That's a contradiction.
Several of the other new uses of the definition of "text" also seem to
change the success criteria in incorrect ways. The change of 3.3.1 Error
identification seems to suggest an image of text are no longer allowed,
even if all requirements of 1.4.5 Images of text are met. For 3.1.5 the
change seems to suggest that images of text are exempt from the success
criterion. And for 1.4.8 it would seem that justified text actually is
allowed in images.

The PR is also adding links to a "block of text" definition. Those seem
fine, except that the link probably won't work because the real definition
is "blocks of text" (plural). Are we sure that works? Skimming over the
ReSpec code it seems to use an NPM package called pluralize, which can only
do single words. Can someone confirm they checked that this?

*tablets...mobile devices*
No blocker, but I don't think the "including ..." should be in brackets.

*Updating a “WCAG 2.1” reference to “WCAG 2”*
The title of this item and the PR don't seem to match. Is this the correct
link?
https://github.com/w3c/wcag/pull/3707/files

*Input Purposes list to remove transaction-amount*
This change seems to me like it's losing sight of the original intent of
the criterion. Sure you wouldn't autocomplete a transaction-amount field
since this is going to be different for different transactions. But this
success criterion isn't about autocompleting form fields. Its about
allowing personalization. There are very good reasons why people may want
an extension that adds a custom icon, label or style to a field where you
enter how much money you are going to give to someone else. To me this
seems like one of the most important items on the input purpose list.
Removing it feels problematic to me.

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core & Axe-linter product owner - WCAG 3 Project Manager - Facilitator