RE: Page break navigation

> If they are made available AND the author(ing workflow) has included
markers of those pages, there is an intention there. Headings may well
provide another method of navigating, but if (non-disabled) people can refer
to the page numbers, it follows there should be a way for someone low-vision
or blind to get to them.

Navigation by table of contents is equally important, but it doesn't provide
the same level of granularity. A student who can only reach the nearest
heading then has to manually find their way to the location within the
chapter or section.

The problem with the multiple ways success criterion is that it doesn't
require anything in particular; it's too general. There are always multiple
ways to navigate an EPUB between the required table of contents and the
linear reading order, for example. Having this success criterion promotes
this particular need for environments where mixed print/digital use is
common.

I don't recall this success criterion is prescriptive about how linking to
the pagination has to occur, either. If it makes more sense on the web to
offer some other alternative, then nothing makes that wrong. You could have
a "jump to" box that allows someone to input the page number to move to the
destination; it doesn't have to be a big list of links. I'm not sure about
using the table of contents, though, as that would probably bloat it and
make it useless for navigation, especially when hundreds or thousands of
page number are in it. But if your only page markers are the start of each
section, then maybe you can combine the heading link and page link?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "mechanism" also mean AT could
provide the functionality on the web? If, in the future, they were to
provide a list of all doc-pagebreak identified markers to navigate to,
wouldn't that remove the need to do anything special for web publishers? (Of
course, that's speculative and far off, and maybe only appropriate for
single-page documents.)

Matt