Re: Page break navigation

Hey Alastair,
I am fully on board with a success criterion that requires page navigation
for textbooks. I do not think the success criterion, as proposed, does that
anywhere near as well as it should.

The success criterion as written, on the one hand is far broader than
textbooks. The success criterion as written is applicable to every document
with a page break locator, regardless of length, or the granularity of its
table of content. That is far broader than is necessary to address the
"text books in education" use case. As a result, this success criterion is
going to require organizations to add page navigation to documents that do
not benefit from it in any way.

At the other end, the success criterion is so narrowly defined that it does
not apply to other formats with which text books may be published. As a
result, WCAG 2.2 doesn't actually add a new guarantee that textbook
navigation has actually become more accessible. Only if you're accessing
your textbook as an EPUB, through a web viewer may you actually see a
benefit from this success criterion. And even then, only if the
doc-pagebreak element has an ID attribute.

This success criterion does not do what it says on the tin; make navigating
multi-page documents accessible. It only applies to EPUB, and only EPUBs
that have their page breaks done in a very specific way. It can easily be
circumvented. And it relies on the assumption that there will never be any
other way to indicate page breaks even in EPUB (like adopting CSS
break-before / break-after).

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Axe-core & Axe-linter product owner - WCAG 3 Project Manager - Facilitator