RE: Focus-appearance structure

Hi Alastair, I like this modification. In the past exceptions were used for exceptions and not other ways to meet the criteria with specific implementations.  At some point the group rewrote the SC on target size minimum with the exception approach (albeit narrower than this) and then this SC was then modified as well to follow that "new practice".  I am glad to find that we are going back to the more consistent approach of WCAG 2.0 and 2.1 with this proposal.  Use of the numbers also makes it clearer that there are two options. This also helps people feel like they aren't relying on an exception as in some spaces an exception might have a negative connotation.

Jonathan

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 7:22 AM
To: WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Focus-appearance structure

Hi Folks,

From the survey results, there were a couple of comments were around the structure of focus-appearance and how some requirements were actually in the exception.

Taking Gregg's proposal for the (now removed) AAA version, I used that to re-structure the AA version:
https://raw.githack.com/w3c/wcag/focus-appearance-structure/understanding/22/focus-appearance.html

None of the requirement bullets have changed at all, it is just starting it with a "one or both of the following are true" format.

The question is: Does this improve the readability of the SC?

Kind regards,

-Alastair