RE: Question about SC 2.4.3 Focus Order

+1 to JF’s interpretation.

From: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 12:07 PM
To: Bruce Bailey <Bailey@access-board.gov>
Cc: WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>; 508 <508@access-board.gov>
Subject: Re: Question about SC 2.4.3 Focus Order

Hi Bruce,

+1:  yes, of course

> ...navigated sequentially:  navigated in the order defined for advancing focus

 I think the key is the term 'advancing', which suggests 'forward' (as opposed to backward) movement.

Logic (to me) suggests that *IF* the 'advancing' tab order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) is logical and appropriate when moving forward, it would stand that going in the opposite direction would expect a tab order in reverse (5, 4, 3, 2, 1). Since the user is already consciously "reverse-advancing" (retreating?) using shift+tab, I would suspect their expectation would be that the visible tab focus proceeds in *THAT* (reversed) order.

My $0.02

JF