Re: Target definition

There are three options here:
1. My own reading of this definition, the target would be the body, because you can click anywhere on it and have an event bubble up to it.

My response to this is that this interpretation doesn’t stand up to a reasonableness test. There isn’t an accessibility expert anywhere, and probably no engineer that would stand by a claim that this was what was intended by the WG.

2. The target property of the event is the icon, basically this is ignoring the definition and just going by what in the DOM is meant by "target". I think that's how your engineers are explaining this

This was what my engineers and I thought that you were saying, yes. This seems to be a possible area of confusion similar to the definition of name (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-name) where we felt the need to explicitly state that name is not the same thing as the name attribute in HTML. Perhaps we need to clarify that the target is not the same thing as the target property for a specific event?

3. The button, which I think we all would agree is supposed to be the target, problem is; how do you draw that conclusion from the actual wording of the definition?
I think that the best way is to clarify this in the Understanding document.

By adding "to trigger a function", it is made explicit that what matters isn't the event target or the handler, but whatever area of the display can be clicked / touched to achieve some function.

I think that adding that would still leave your #2 above as a possible source of confusion and we would need to clarify in Understanding.

AWK