Re: Visual Indicators

Gundala writes:

"...Requesting the end user to add visuals via style sheet is not an
option..."

Of course it is an option.

It may not be your preferred option, and it may not address all the needs
of all users, but it remains nonetheless an option. In fact,
*Success Criterion 1.4.12* (Text Spacing
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#text-spacing>)
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#text-spacing> is predicated upon the idea of
personalized style-sheets (individual users will use modified user style
sheets), and requires the ability to modify style sheets to test:

Test Procedure:

For elements which contain text that is intended to wrap:

   - Set zoom level to 100%.
      - Use a tool or another mechanism to apply the text spacing metrics
      (line height, and paragraph, letter, and word spacing), such as the Text
      Spacing Bookmarklet or a user-style browser plugin.
      - Check that all content and functionality is available e.g., text in
      containers is not truncated and does not overlap other content.

(see: https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/css/C36.html)

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good