Re: Finding HHello jennie,elp

Hi all,

Gundala writes:

"...context help according to my experience with end-users and with testing
is the one most often needed and very often missed."

I think that there is an important (and to my mind at least, unanswered)
question here, and that is "why isn't that contextual help being made
available today?"

I can accept that in many instances, lack of awareness may be the main
culprit, but there are (or at least I can envision) many scenarios where it
is either non-achievable, or does not scale (or it is deemed "not
necessary" by the content owner). Contextual help in the use-case of a
major bank I can understand; but on the 3-page web site of the local
pizzeria? What contextual help? There are significantly more small
businesses than big businesses out there, with budgets and technical
expertise that matches those differing sizes.

I am concerned that as we get increasingly granular in our demands, we're
losing sight of the impact on the content creators, and what that means for
adoption going forward. Telling every website out there that they MUST
provide contextual help (as a single A requirement?) is going to get a ton
of pushback from the mainstream business community, especially if failing
to do something like that exacerbates their legal risk.

As I read the current draft SC, it seems to be more about ensuring
that the *location
of Help* is consistent within the site, but currently stops short of what
kind of help MUST be offered, instead opting for "should" language there
("At least one of the following mechanisms to get help *should *be
included:..."). But to then also demand specific types of help is where
we're going to encounter the resistance. I'm not suggesting that this isn't
an issue, I am only saying that we need to look at the requirement(s) from
many different angles, which I am concerned we are forgetting to do here.

Alastair writes:

We already have a requirement for context sensitive help, 3.3.6:
https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#help

To which I note that it is at level AAA for exactly the concerns/reasons I
outlined above: and primarily because of the impact on content creators.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good