RE: Collections of web pages

>  I'm not sure I understand, are you trying to differentiate an ePub doc which is multiple HTML files from an ePub  Period which is one file?

I do not think that would be a useful distinction.

> That is tricky because it is based on the URI, and an ePub appears to be something at one URI with other that are 'rendered together' by a user agent.

I disagree that 'rendered together' characterizes the chapter-by-chapter approach used by ePub.  The presentation is significantly different than one gets from a long PDF or Word doc, where any kind of chapter-by-chapter structure is not reinforced by the media.  Yes, MS Word has "section breaks" (and they are useful), but they do not feel like a major organizational mechanism.

> I think the proposed SCs have worked around this definition.

I am all for any approach that is pragmatic.