RE: Focus stlyes for non-standard shapes

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:01:43 +0000
To: Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>
CC: WCAG list <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> but would it not be far easier to …

Yes, in practice that would be a much easier method.

I wanted to tackle something complex, with a gradient, and show there is a way to measure it. That could work for a spiral shape that has no straight lines.

It is a huge faff, but it would be a very rare instance as every focus style I’ve tested in the wild is either rectangular (~99%) or circular. (In fact, I think the circles were rectangles with border radius.)

If this sort of testing did somehow become common, that method (basically pixel-counting the difference) seems like something you could automate with screen captures [1].

Cheers,

-Alastair

1] https://www.pyimagesearch.com/2014/09/15/python-compare-two-images/

Tool to give a score of the difference between two images, not ready for this purpose, but would be possible to create a front-end for testing screencaptures.