Re: Using preformatted text or excluding preformatting text as an exception to no two dimensional scrolling as failure for Reflow 1.4.10

...and this is why I so dislike Failure Techniques...

> I'm guessing the failure per se is the use of preformatted text,

We cannot do this or say this as broadly as that. There are many instances
where pre-formatted text would be required (the most common use-case being
poetry).

Haiku:

The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Example of a Robert Service
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_W._Service> poem
<https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45081/the-cremation-of-sam-mcgee>:

On a Christmas Day we were mushing our way over the Dawson trail.
Talk of your cold! through the parka's fold it stabbed like a driven nail.
If our eyes we'd close, then the lashes froze till sometimes we couldn't
see;
It wasn't much fun, but the only one to whimper was Sam McGee.

In these examples, the formatting of the text also conveys the Pentameter
<https://literarydevices.net/pentameter/>of the rhymes/poems. Conveying
this critical literary device is wholly dependent on the formatting of the
text.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good