RE: Re[2]: Target size proposal

After some research it's clear that Microsoft also has 48X48 now (7/9 mm) and the 26/34 is pretty old for MS phones/apps in from 2010...

But they also changed a lot and so pick a number (23, 26, 34, 40, 48 and maybe more) and you're save... :-)

So what research at which time by whom is the question as but for sure the 26/34 is not what they use now (or maybe somewhere...)

Microsoft Guidelines for Targeting

Target sizes

In general, set your touch target size to 9 mm square or greater (48x48 pixels on a 135 PPI display at a 1.0x scaling plateau). Avoid using touch targets that are less than 7 mm square.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/input/guidelines-for-targeting

Interactions and usability with Windows Phone - MSDN - Microsoft

Extensive user testing suggests that 9 mm square is the ideal touch target size across all Microsoft touch platforms.

9 mm square or larger is the ideal touch target for a touch UI asset

Where smaller hit target heights are warranted, the minimum target size is 7 mm. In these cases, it’s better to have a wider visual asset in these cases. For example, list items or menu items should be wider.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/apps/hh202889(v=vs.105)

Windows older 8.1 Apps

Uses large controls for touch. Common controls have a minimum size of 23x23 pixels (13x13 DLUs), and the most commonly used controls are at least 40x40 pixels (23x22 DLUs).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/dn742468.aspx

And in 2010 Windows had these (but changed it since):

Microsoft’s Windows Phone UI Design and Interaction Guide suggests a touch target size of 34px with a minimum touch target size of 26px.

https://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1085