Re: SC 1.4.11

> I'm not suggesting we soften it, I'm suggesting we don't widen it.

...and I'm not saying to widen it, I'm saying we use the precise reading of
the exception clause, which both Wilco and Eric have agreed is in keeping
with my proffered interpretation: that "components" may be exempt, "states"
are not.

It is the difference between:

Visual information required to identify user interface components
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-user-interface-components> and states
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-states>, except for inactive components
or where the appearance of the component is determined by the user agent
and not modified by the author;

​and:

Visual information required to identify user interface components
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-user-interface-components> and states
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-states>, except for inactive components
or where the appearance of the component
​
*OR STATE*​
​ ​
is determined by the user agent and not modified by the author;

​

​...which, BTW, even those on the LVTF have admitted was originally the
intent of this SC (before it got merged and mangled)​.

If I really had my way, we'd re-open this to instead say:

Visual information required to identify user interface components
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-user-interface-components> and states
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-states>, except for inactive components
or where the appearance of the component *or state* is determined by the
user agent and *can *not *be *modified by the author;

...but, it's too late now to change the normative text, but not still too
late from using the Understanding and Techniques documents to underscore
this intent. I am at a loss as to why we don't want to pursue that approach.

JF