Re: Updates to Understanding 1.4.11 part 2

Hi John and all,

On 6/13/18, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com> wrote:

> I can agree with that half-way: as long as the author has not modified the
> background, then yes, the native foreground is a User Agent problem.
>
> BUT, if the content author has modified the background, then no, native
> default colors/indication cannot be "forgiven", because at some point the
> author has intervened.

I have been thinking about this. If the WG decides to go with the wide
interpretation, authors would need tools to help them catch those
errors.

At one time the W3C CSS Validator did warn [1] [2] [3] if an author
had no background-color with their foreground color. I wonder if that
warning could be reinstated/adjusted for this use case.

Besides F24 which Jon A mentioned, there is also the old "If You Pick
One Color, Pick Them All" on W3C QA Tips [4]

Kindest Regards,
Laura

[1] https://web.archive.org/web/20160919184438/http://www.websitedev.de:80/css/validator-faq
[2] https://www.webmasterworld.com/css/3061963.htm