Re: Updates to Understanding 1.4.11 part 2

Also to add to the *wide *interpretation is the fact, as Jon Avila has
noted (thanks Jon for pointing that out - I had forgotten about that as I
rarely reference Failure Techniques), that we already have an existing
Failure Technique of not setting background when foreground is set and vice
versa, which states:

"

*Unless an author specifies both foreground and background colors, then
they (the author) can no longer guarantee that the user will get a contrast
that meets the contrast requirements...Failure Example 1: Specifying only
background color with CSSIn the example below the background color is
defined on the CSS stylesheet, however the foreground color is not defined.
Therefore, the example fails the Success Criterion.*"

...so I will additionally argue that the *wide *interpretation going
forward would be consistent with prior and existing guidance.

> Let’s try to bring this to a decision (for the group), I’ll summarise and
you (and others) can see if it’s a fair summary.

Thank you for the summaries Alastair. Is this another straw poll? (The straw
poll from Tuesday's call
<https://www.w3.org/2018/06/12-ag-minutes.html#item03> saw 6 in favor of
the wide interpretation, 2 who indicated "they could live with it", and 3
opposed - although the minutes indicate that David MacDonald voted both for
and against this, so I'm not sure where he actually stands today... his now
immortal "I didn't change my mind, I changed my understanding" comment :-)
).

If the Chairs anticipate that your summaries are going to materially change
everyone's thinking, then can we go straight to a WBS survey or CfC?

Otherwise, I continue to strongly support the *wide *interpretation.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist