From:   David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
To:     Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Cc:     "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date:   2017-11-22 04:55 PM
Subject:        Re: Interaction of "zoom content" and vertical writing
modes

I'd rather not add the vertical part... it's speculative, and comes at a
high cognitive load cost, unless someone brilliantly word smith's it.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Tel:  613.235.4902
LinkedIn
twitter.com/davidmacd
GitHub
www.Can-Adapt.com

  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
wrote:
[Jason] Yes – they’re going to exist within the lifetime of WCAG 2.1,
according to your own investigation, and should thus be handled in the SC.

AC: Well, I said it was possible but the browser support is not there yet,
and we don’t know when that might work.
Where there is vertical text at the moment, it is on pages with vertical
scrolling.

Given that, I’d rather not complicate it. Just trying makes my head hurt,
you end up with something like this:

For pages that scroll vertically by default, content can be zoomed to an
equivalent width of 320 CSS pixels without loss of content or
functionality, and without requiring horizontal scrolling.

For pages that scroll horizontally by default, content can be zoomed to an
equivalent height of 320 CSS pixels without loss of content or
functionality, and without requiring vertical scrolling.

Except for parts of the content which require two-dimensional layout for
usage or meaning.

-Alastair