Re: Graphics contrast comments overview

1.3 covers Adaptable. It measures the ability of the content to be adapted
without losing meaning, hence the need for:
programmatic determinability for any content that has sequence,
relationships and information visually shown
a non-reliance on sensory characteristics (that can't be adapted)

1.4 covers Distinguishable. It ensures that information that is intended
to be distinguishable continues to be so for users with reduced abilities
to distinguish. It covers:
contrast
use of color
images of text
text resizing (which I'll admit has always seemed to me like 1.3)

There may come a time when a user who cannot distinguish at the minimums
we specify needs to use an AT or otherwise transform the content using the
requirements in 1.3 to adapt the content. But the point of Graphics
contrast is to ensure more content is distinguishable. That's why it comes
in the same section as Contrast (Minimum).

In short, 1.3 and 1.4 SCs are complementary and address different use
cases.

Michael Gower
IBM Accessibility
Research

1803 Douglas Street, Victoria, BC  V8T 5C3
gowerm@ca.ibm.com
voice: (250) 220-1146 * cel: (250) 661-0098 *  fax: (250) 220-8034