Re: Is content on hover only a WCAG failure?

On 10/18/2017 6:27 AM, Repsher, Stephen J wrote:

> But title doesn't show on focus for mouse users (except on IE/Edge
> with recent windows) so the text is not available to most keyboard
> users. However, in this example it is not a problem as the title
> element is not really providing any content which is useful.
>
> */[Steve] Following that logic through to technology independence,
> that means you feel a custom tooltip using the onmouseover event only
> is okay in some situations?  Does that not contradict F54? /*

If it isn't providing a "function" then it would be ok - or if the same
"function" were available in another way then yes it would be ok. F54
talks about being the only means to invoke the scripting function. If
the scripting function is to display some information then so long as
there is another way to display this information this would be ok.

> *//*
>

> If I had provided a useful title in this example then it would be a
> failure except if I could get to that information easily in another
> way. So again - if content only appears on hover - it is not always a
> failure. It is not a failure if that information is either useless or
> easily available in another way for keyboard users.
>
> */[Steve] But if I follow the letter of the law in 2.1.1, there is no
> such exception.  It seems we must decide either the display of hover
> content is part of the functionality or it isn’t.  If you argue it
> isn’t then I suppose the question falls to 1.3.1, but again there’s no
> exception for useless or repetitive information./*

2.1.1 talks about functionality of the content where functionality is
"processes
<https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#processdef>and outcomes
achievable through user action" and processes are "

series of user actions where each action is required in order to
complete an activity

/Example 1:/Successful use of a series of Web pages on a shopping site
requires users to view alternative products, prices and offers, select
products, submit an order, provide shipping information and provide
payment information.

/Example 2:/An account registration page requires successful completion
of a Turing test before the registration form can be accessed."

If the content provided by hover is provided in another way then the
processes and the outcomes are achievable through user action.

Regards,

James

--
Regards, James

<http://www.oracle.com> James Nurthen | Principal Engineer, Accessibility
Phone: +1 650 506 6781 <tel:+1%20650%20506%206781> | Mobile: +1 415 987
1918 <tel:+1%20415%20987%201918> | Video: james.nurthen@oracle.com
<sip:james.nurthen@oracle.com>
Oracle Corporate Architecture
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065
<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment