All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 20:53:23 +0200  White<jjwhite@ets.org> wrote ----

     From: lisa.seeman [mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com]
 Sent: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 4:57 PM
 To: W3c-Wai-Gl-Request@W3. Org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

    The COGA task force have been having an interesting discussion., I thought it would pass it on to the WCAG list to check we are on the same pagein terms of testability

  we have a  criteria such as  Simple, clear, and common words: Use words or phrases that are most-frequently used for the current context, unless it will result in a loss of meaning or clarity.

  The base criteria (not the exception) is nicely testable. we have defined any terms we thought  that look ambiguous.. We have simple  algorithms and word list with the most common words/meaning in different languages are available, and there are even tools in the translation business for making new word lists for different languages.

   The hard to test parts is the exception.  IE "unless it will result in a loss of meaning or clarity”
 [Jason] I agree that this is difficult. However, is it significantly more problematic than checking whether the text alternative for an image satisfactorily characterizes the graphical content? Part of the problem with this proposal is that it would apply to all of the text used in Web content, leading to a very large quality assurance issue in the writing of new Web sites, and a huge evaluation process for non-trivial, existing sites.
 When WCAG 2.0 was under development, it was argued, justifiably, that the language used in some Web content could not be changed. For example, a Web site offering legislation or court judgments must faithfully reflect the original text, without altering the language used. I think it’s clear that any requirement for simple language, if it belongs in WCAG at all, must be placed at Level AAA, unless it can be satisfied  by providing a simpler summary or simpler language alternative to the primary content alongside it.

 Thank you for your compliance.