RE: Accessible authentication and we need a fundamental change

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:39 AM

We have many commenters and observers who are looking forward to our work, but among these are many people who want to see WCAG 2.1 standardize what is implementable based on the technologies that are available today, and we need to work to try to find the right balance between what would be best for users with all different types of disabilities and what is achievable/testable.
[Jason] With these constraints in mind, there should be a good home for design guidance that, for whatever reason, can’t be included in a normative specification, but which is nevertheless valuable for accessibility reasons. I recall discussion of a CSS best practices document, but what I have in mind here would be broader in scope.
It doesn’t fit into Techniques, but it would nevertheless be a valuable practical aid to content authors. Any guidance which is later refined and becomes fit for inclusion could then be migrated into a future normative specification.
The suggested document could include advice from the task forces that doesn’t make its way into WCAG 2.1, as well as more general accessibility-related practices. If work proceeds within W3C on any kind of Web development best practices guide, this material on accessibility could achieve higher visibility by being included there. WCAG 2.1 could also make a non-normative reference to this material (wehther published by the Accessibility Guidelines working group or elsewhere).

Thank you for your compliance.