Re: Re[2]: Should we require labels to be always visible?

I think there should be a mechanism available to show labels - such as support for  personalization:)

Basicly we need personalization here. It is a lot to ask designers to always show labels for controls , especially on small devices.
Hamburger menus and others benefit from labels but showing the label will really affect the look

However having an "show all labels" setting as a standardized option that should be included in a test suit is doable

Rich and I am working on personalization standard. I will add it there - and we can have a mechanism available for showing all labels  in wcag
\

All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Sat, 14 Jan 2017 04:33:38 +0200 Sailesh Panchang<spanchang02@yahoo.com> wrote ----

Numerator/denominator type of fields are not different from multi-part fields I alluded to in my last email where a hyphen between textboxes serves as a visual cue. In the case of numerator / denominator fields, the slash does the same. It is standard practice to wrap The multi part fields within a fieldset with a suitable legend.
With reference to:     <input type="search" placeholder="Search this site" aria-label="search this site"/>
The values of the placeholder and aria-label are identical resulting in repetition for screen reader users. Why should accessibility consultant suggest something that will result in poorer experience for a set of users who depend on accessibility markup?
The value of the placeholder / aria-label in the above example are better suited for the search button than the textbox.
The placeholder is meant to contain a hint or such ... not state the purpose of the field.
The title attribute is more robust serving a wider user group vis-a-vis the aria-label.
Thanks,
Sailesh Panchang