From: Gregg C Vanderheiden [mailto:greggvan@umd.edu]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:02 PM
To: Patrick H. Lauke
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org
Subject: Re: Testability of Animation from interactions Issue 18

In the Epilepsy FLASH - the size of the flashing object (in visual angle) is critical since its size relates to the area of the brain that is stimulated —and the larger the visual angle the greater chance it will cause a seizure.
but it is the absolute size of the stimulus and it has nothing to do with the size stimulus in relation to the size of the screen.
MORE DETAILS BELOW.

For animation — I’m not sure the size is that important.  I think that even small animations can be very distracting (that is what we were told in WCAG 2.0 work ).     And the time of type of animation would also seem to be more important than its size.    A smaller flashing image would be much more distracting than a large slow moving image.

Do we have any research on what animation is most distracting?

By the way

There is already a LEVEL A provision that says any animation  (of any size)  must last no more than 5 seconds or there must be a way to turn it off?

Sorry to not know the answer —  but what is the provision being considered here that isnt covered by the current ban on all animation over 5 seconds?

thx

gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu<mailto:greggvan@umd.edu>