From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 12:08 PM
To: John Foliot; Makoto UEKI; Shwetank@barrierbreak.com
Cc: Patrick H. Lauke; WCAG
Subject: Re: Length of line

> I would propose we look to Root EMS instead for at least part of this proposal, and that we also include a magnification point (200%? 400%?) as also part of the requirement:

I think the latest proposal addresses the magnification issue by requiring that the SC be met without zooming text. The downside of REMs are that it is harder to understand, it is a specific technology, and it is a relative measurement. Patrick, Jon A., what are your thoughts?

I would also like Makoto and Swetank to respond to the hyphenation situation that most (all) bowsers don't add hyphens, and that CSS can be use to override any hyphenation.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

Tel:  613.235.4902

LinkedIn

twitter.com/davidmacd<http://twitter.com/davidmacd>

GitHub<https://github.com/DavidMacDonald>

www.Can-Adapt.com<http://www.can-adapt.com/>

  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities

If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy policy<http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:24 AM, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com<mailto:john.foliot@deque.com>> wrote:
David wrote:

> We have an established precedent in 1.4.8 of using characters to measure line length.

Hi David,

While we may have precedent there, SC 1.4.8 is a AAA Success Criteria, and I am hard-pressed personally to recall a site that meets (and reports compliance to) that SC consistently. As we've seen, "character" is a very imprecise unit of measurement.

I think we need to step back a bit; what is the real goal we are trying to achieve here? I don't think it has anything to do with actual character count (per-se), but rather that we need developers to not break text re-flow (perhaps to a minimum of 25 REMs - Root EMs<https://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/font-size-with-rem>). Level-set: LVTF, is this the real "goal" here?

However, given fixed view-port sizes and magnification there will necessitate a trade-off, or else I could envision developers will create one line in their document at font-size:40px - perhaps an h1 - and then use that as the 'measuring point': 25 X 40px = 1000px, which, as a "baseline, would then "allow" paragraph text at 16px. to far exceed the 25 character count being proposed (1000 / 16 = 62.5 "characters") It is for this reason that I would propose we look to Root EMS instead for at least part of this proposal, and that we also include a magnification point (200%? 400%?) as also part of the requirement:

<draft> For the visual presentation of all text, text should naturally re-flow to a minimum of 25 REMs at 200% magnification without horizontal scrolling, with the following exceptions. </draft>

...or something along those lines. By moving away from actual characters (and their "imperfect" unit of measurement), we will likely address most concerns around internationalization, and with a more precise unit of measurement, we will be able to better test (mechanically) compliance to the new SC. (I'd also look to have this be an AA requirement, as opposed to an A, but that is a different discussion...)

Thoughts?

JF

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com<mailto:john.foliot@deque.com>> wrote:
David wrote:
> No browser that I know would do this:
>
> "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their establish-
> ment party for now and forever"

Erm... https://www.w3.org/TR/css-text/#hyphens-property

and http://caniuse.com/#search=hyphens

(which suggests support in most browsers with the exception of Android's native browser)

JF