Re: Testability of Animation from interactions Issue 18

Some quick thoughts on this.  (Noticed this in passing)

1) I agree that the animation size needs to be clearly defined.

2) I agree with Patrick that 10 degrees of visual field won’t work
you can’t calculate that unless you know  a) how far the person is from the screen   b) the size of the screen  and c) the pixel resolution of the screen d) the scaling of the screen.   None of these are known to the author and change from user to user
(Most people couldn’t calculate it if they did know those things)

3) You can’t use 1/3 of web page because
a web page could be 500 ‘pages’ long so nothing would be 1/3 of it.
and you can’t use 1/3 of screen for the same reason as #2 above.

4)  I THINK — Doing it in CSS pixels (aka David) is the best bet but remember that a large blinking “O" only changes a relatively small number of pixels -- so you might look at pixel area rather than pixels.

5) I wouldn't ban it - but rather ban anything the has a duration longer than say  three seconds that can’t be stopped.   Such animations are very useful for directing attention for people with cognitive disabilities.   Also important sometimes for warnings.

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu