Re: Testability of Animation from interactions Issue 18

>Would that make the Animation SC easier to test and the proposal something
you can live with?

- Significant animation: Animation which continues for more than 1 second,
and affects more than 1/3 of the view of the webpage.

- I would say 2 seconds threshold, so any animation less than 2 seconds
passes, allowing most CSS transitions, which are an important design
paradigm.
- For the field, perhaps saying something like it has >500 CSS PX   again
that is fairly arbitrary... but at least measurable.

- Significant animation: Animation which continues for more than 2 seconds,
and the movement occupies more than 500 CSS pixels on the webpage

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902

LinkedIn

twitter.com/davidmacd

*  Adapting the web to all users*

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> [...]
> *            Including those with disabilities*

> <http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>
>
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 2:14 PM, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> I guess I identified 3 things that I'd like to explore:
>>
>> (1) A definition of "Significant" (Is the test case a definition?)
>> (2) It is a major requirement on the modern web which is full of
>> animation, so we better be ready to defend it, it requires designers to
>> change designs, marketing to carve out space for a button on the "above the
>> fold" etc...
>> (3) minimal research available on triggering characteristics such as
>> (length of exposure, speed, provocation, time of day, etc.)
>>
>> We have several people sharing their experience which is helpful... I
>> know someone who shares Nat's experiences,and I've been talking with them
>> about our exploration which she thinks would be helpful...  but I would
>> like more information for such a large requirement...
>>
>> There may be times when animation is helpful... for instance a long home
>> page on a website, and the author wants people to scroll down. The
>> automated scroll lets them know they are moving to a place on the same
>> page, rather than another page, so it helps distinguish an in page link
>>  (href=#...) from an regular link (href=http://...)
>>
>> It will cause many web sites to have to create a gear icon, or another
>> button in addition to a "Pause" button on a carousel. One big thing is how
>> to create a button that doesn't eat expensive real estate, that is easily
>> understood. Is there an icon that people with vestibular disabilities would
>> have? DO you say on the button on the $50Million above the fold part of the
>> page <button>Stop all animation on this site</button>?
>>
>> those are my concerns...
>>

>> Cheers,
>> David MacDonald
>>

>> *Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*
>>
>> Tel:  613.235.4902 <(613)%20235-4902>
>>
>> LinkedIn
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100>
>>
>> twitter.com/davidmacd
>>
>> GitHub <https://github.com/DavidMacDonald>
>>
>> www.Can-Adapt.com <http://www.can-adapt.com/>
>>

>> *  Adapting the web to all users*
>> *            Including those with disabilities*
>>
>> If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy policy
>> <http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Laura Carlson <
>> laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am the manager of Issue 18 Animation from interactions [1].  David
>>> noted an issue on his spreadsheet that the proposal:
>>>
>>> "Significant - is hard to test. Big requirement on modern animated
>>> web... minimal research available on triggering characteristics such
>>> as (length of exposure, speed, provocation, time of day, etc.)"
>>>
>>> The test in the proposal is:
>>>
>>> For each example of animation on a page/view check if:
>>>
>>> 1. The animation is triggered by a user-action, and
>>> 2. the animation includes movement that is not essential to the action,
>>> and