From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2017 12:44 PM
To: Jonathan Avila; John Foliot
Cc: Shawn Lauriat; David MacDonald; josh@interaccess.ie; lisa.seeman; Detlev Fischer; WCAG
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Should we require labels to be always visible?

Example #3 in H65 has been the focus of most past discussion but we still have it: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H65.html

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Standards and Accessibility
Adobe

akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>
http://twitter.com/awkawk

From: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>>
Date: Friday, January 6, 2017 at 12:35
To: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com<mailto:john.foliot@deque.com>>, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>>
Cc: Shawn Lauriat <lauriat@google.com<mailto:lauriat@google.com>>, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca<mailto:david100@sympatico.ca>>, "josh@interaccess.ie<mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>" <josh@interaccess.ie<mailto:josh@interaccess.ie>>, "lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>" <lisa.seeman@zoho.com<mailto:lisa.seeman@zoho.com>>, Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de<mailto:detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>>

Ø  I would be strongly in favor of a new (or modified/enhanced) SC requiring (RFC 2119<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt> – SHOULD

I disagree with adding should into the requirement.  The way “should” is taken in the RFC may be one thing but it will NOT be seen that way by most people in the real world.  It will be seen as recommended but not required without people doing due diligence.  Once we start having “should” in WCAG then we might as well not write the SC or make it a AAA as it won’t be done.  The proper way to do this is the have an exception or is to define the definition in such a way that it allows for flexibility.  I believe this is already required in the current WCAG based on the normative definition and note.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com<mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/SSBBARTGroup> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ssbbartgroup> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/355266?trk=tyah> | Blog<http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/>
Don't miss Trends in Accessibility & Electronic Documents on Wed 12/7!<http://info.ssbbartgroup.com/Accessibility-Trends-and-Documents.html?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWXpsak9XWTJNbUV5T1RneiIsInQiOiJzWWlWT2FiUnpjS1hOYmx5dzdHRUs1d0lcL2Y4VjBHU1EyRWZuSm40aFQ2TE51Zm4wUU9PaGowcGN4Nm5UdFhnMTVxUHFBSHAwR21BODV1UGc2TFloV1NaUFNvbE8wU05IV2>

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.