Re: FW: Discussion on SC numbering

Alastair,

Here is what I'm thinking:

   1. *Allow overlap in First Public Working Draft (FPWD) -* I agree with
   everyone who is saying...for now...focus on adding not modifying SC and
   accept overlap for the FPWD. Then we *should* carefully modify current
   requirements to reduce overlap.
   2. *Chill about the order of the 3 digit of new 2.1 SC -* For WCAG 2.1 I
   think we need to temporarily let go of our need for ideal ordering of SC,
   and instead rely on great short names for each proposed SC
   (and proper tagging for filtering).
      - Of course, any new WCAG 2.1 SC will be under the correct #.#
      Guideline,
      - but this is not the time to renumber to put similar WCAG 2.1 SC
      next to existing (and conceptually related) WCAG 2.0 SC.
      - Example:  WCAG 2.0 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum) is really just about
      text.  Let's leave it that way.  It is already a complex SC.  For the
      proposed WCAG 2.1 SC on color contrast for Informational Graphics and
      Visual Focus Indicators (and other fun things)...we can propose
to add new
      success criteria in the 1.4.x section.  Will it be right next to
1.4.3 when
      you look at SC in numeric order...Nope.  But when you filter by tags...it
      will be right there...because both could be tagged with a world like
      "color/colour" and "contrast".
   3. *Add a 4th digit/character for children -* For any new WCAG 2.1 SC
   that can truly be seen as a child of a WCAG 2.0 SC, I suggest we could add
   a ".a" to the end.
      - Example: Lisa had a great example of how 2.2.1 Timing Adjustable
      has a clause that says "given at least 20 seconds to extend the time
      limit", but this may be too short for COGA (and others).  So, COGA could
      propose (for WCAG 2.1) that there is a new SC called 2.2.1.a Timing
      Adjustable Extended.

Happy New Year Y'all,

glenda sims    |   team a11y lead   |    deque.com    |    512.963.3773

*web for everyone. web on everything.* -  w3 goals