Re: Add Character Key Shortcuts to Editor's Draft

Thanks for the vote Jason. In your comment you mention:

> If the user interface control that has focus (including its role) can
> be "programmatically determined", then speech recognition systems can
> implement a policy of not forwarding dictated text (e.g., as simulated
> keystrokes) to the browser whenever the currently focused control is
> not editable text. This working group should investigate (via
> horizontal review from the ARIA Working Group or discussion with
> speech technology developers, especially those who have implemented
> ARIA already) whether platform accessibility APIs can be used, or
> adapted, to fill this need.

While I think this may lead to a long wait, especially where the UA
would have to add an extra loop of 'listening/distinguishing' between
verbal commands that should be handled by the AT vs that which should be
ignored. I wonder if the use of a modifier key would help. I don't know
if we would have traction with speech AT vendors but in terms of the
request for a process/horizontal or at least linking in the APA group
for review I think this is reasonable - I'll bring it up at our
co-ordination call.

Thanks

Josh

White, Jason J wrote:

> -1 for the reasons indicated in the survey and at the meeting.

Joshue O Connor
Director | InterAccess.ie