Character shortcuts & blind or low vision

From: Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 20:10:22 +0000
To: GLWAI Guidelines WG org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I could not make the call today because I was in training, but I read references in the minutes that the character key shortcuts SC has benefits to folks with low vision.  I would appreciate it if someone could please explain what those benefits are because I'm failing to see any.  I don't want to downplay the importance of the criterion at all and I don't oppose it, but I also want to make sure the benefits are not going to be overstated.

The only potential impact I see to users of screen readers and/or magnifiers (which of course have a lot of keyboard shortcuts) is a negative one when a remapping includes a modifier key that conflicts with the screen reader or magnifier's modifier (typically Caps Lock and/or Insert).  For screen readers, an explicit set of keyboard shortcuts are used to allow keystrokes to pass through straight to the application or OS, so a problem would only arise if a website chose one of those specific shortcuts.

So, please point out what I'm missing.  Thanks.

Steve