Re: Zoom content updates Pt2

Hi Everyone,

Based on the follow-up comments for ‘zoom content’, there is a new version [1]:
----------------
“Content can be zoomed to an equivalent width of 320 CSS pixels without loss of content or functionality, and without requiring scrolling in multiple directions except for parts of the content which require two-dimensional layout for usage or meaning.

Note: 320 CSS pixels is equivalent to a starting viewport width of 1280 CSS pixels wide at 400% zoom. For web pages which are designed to scroll horizontally, the 320px should be taken as the height rather than width.

Note: Examples of content which require two-dimensional layout are images, maps, diagrams, video, games, presentations, data tables, and interfaces where it is necessary to keep toolbars in view while manipulating content.
----------------

There main changes are:

1. Based on Jonathan’s comment, using “can be zoomed to an equivalent width of 320 CSS pixels”. That implies you zoom through the range, rather than just make it work at that size (although a fixed-width of 320px would pass, which is fine, if an odd thing to do).

2. Still using “width of”, but adding to the note that for a page laid out horizontally it mean test the vertical equivalent. I haven’t found any examples of that in the wild (apart from a demo), but it would be a good one to put out for wider feedback.

3. Replacing “in the direction of text” with “in multiple directions”. When you get into the detail of text-directions it is really confusing and actually makes it harder to understand. For example, characters can be vertically laid out, but the characters themselves can be horizontally or vertically oriented (e.g. https://alastairc.ac/tmp/word-example.png ). The page itself would expand downwards, but the text could be L/R or Top to Bottom. Hopefully using “multiple directions” makes sense to everyone? Or is at least the best alternative?

Is there anything people can’t live with there?

The comments made and addressed on github since then start about here:
https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/77#issuecomment-304215360

Cheers,

-Alastair

1] https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/resize-content_ISSUE-77/guidelines/sc/21/resize-content.html

On 26/05/2017, 13:58, "Jonathan Avila" <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:

    > Content can be displayed at a minimum width

    My concern is over the term "minimum".  It could be read that supporting something over the minimum passes.  Could it be removed?

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Avila
    Chief Accessibility Officer
    SSB BART Group
    jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com
    703.637.8957 (Office)

    Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
    Download our CSUN Presentations Here!

    The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.