Re: CFC: Target Size and Target Size (no exception) SC

On 29/05/2017 19:48, David MacDonald wrote:
> It appears the European Union is looking for Mobile requirements for
> legislation. Every set of guidelines and best practices for mobile that
> I've seen has something about target size. (yes "mobile", not touch screens)

WCAG doesn't do "best practice". It's bound by hard pass/fail. Even
guidelines like BBC's mobile accessibility ones are often broken, by the
BBC itself (for instance, even on small-screen/mobile size, if you go to
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/futuremedia/accessibility/mobile/design/touch-target-size
and check the hamburger menu and the "+" disclosure widgets, they're
25x25px - and interestingly they don't give any measure in CSS values
but instead state the minimum size in mm, which we know is meaningless
since it can't be guaranteed), and they're not written with the rigor of
something that may well end up being part of a court case.

> Otherwise adding an
> exception for groups of more than 10 controls.

The fundamental problem that this SC tries to solve doesn't go away for
groups of more than 10 controls though. That'd simply be an exception
that tries to mitigate situations in which it may not work with today's
content.

Patrick H. Lauke