Re: Supplementary document for WCAG 2.1

Kind regards,

Neil Milliken
Head of Accessibility & Digital Inclusion
Atos
M: 07812325386<tel:07812325386>
E: Neil.Milliken@atos.net<mailto:Neil.Milliken@atos.net>
http://atos.net/iux
http://atos.net/accessibilityservices
@neilmilliken

On 26 May 2017, at 15:29, Gregg C Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu<mailto:greggvan@umd.edu>> wrote:
Gregg - I am not naive enough to be chasing nirvana I know that at best we will get only the tip of the iceberg of needs.
Neil we all know that it would be better if everything worked for everyone out of the box.  but it simply is not possible to do.   and for may disabilities what is good for one is not good for another.

Yes we all know about the complex conflicts.
even within cognitive, language, and learning disabilities  this is true.    and making something that is infinitely flexible makes it infinitely complicated to configure.

I am not suggesting infinite flexibility either

we are working on making auto-personalization easy to lessen this last effect but it is still not solved.

Exactly the my point ... it's not solved and this is why we need to look at fixing things at the base level of design.

Using AT can be something that is automatic to the user.   Once it is there it is just part of the user agent you are using to view things.    So it is always there and the normal way to do them.

Like wearing glasses instead of having everything in larger print.   Even though wearing glasses is a pain.

the problem we have is that we have precious little good AT for cognitive.  Or to say it more accurately, we have good AT for precious little types and degrees of cognitive, language, and learning disabilities.

But if we made all pages directly accessible by people who are blind -  it would not work well.

Devils advocate - if they all worked in a consistent manner why would it not work well?

  And screen readers by the way are a real pain.   and many people who are blind find them very hard or impossible to use.
I know I have spent years with them.

So David was not saying ‘don’t put access for cognitive, language, and learning disabilities in WCAG  (he has long been a proponent — as have I by the way).   It is just that it is REALLY hard to find things what can qualify  - as people now find — and that there is SO MUCH more that needs to be done than can be handled by saying “every page must do this”

I don't think the Coga TF were quite that prescriptive we understand different contexts of use may require exemption from a requirement.

This is true for all disabilities by the way — but even more so for cognitive, language, and learning disabilities than any other.

There is LOT of provisions for cognitive, language, and learning disabilities  in WCAG 2.0.     That is not the problem.   the problem is that what is there only addresses part of the problem for some of the users.   there is SO MUCH MORE NEEDED.

unfortunately there is and always will be MUCH MORE NEEDED than EVER CAN BE REDUCED TO TESTABLE REQUIREMENTS  that would BE GENERALLY APPLICABLE  to all websites.

I think we could get a core set of requirements that better meet the needs of a large number (it will never be all) of users than we currently have.

And unless both of those (and the other SC requirements are met  we cannot REQUIRE that they be done ON ALL WEBSITES.

You can document clear exceptions

  *   we CAN create a document with SC that are NOT TESTABLE — but then it can NEVER BE REQUIRED

  *   we CAN create a document with SC that are NOT APPLICABLE EVERYWHERE   but then they cannot be “REQUIRED FOR ALL WEBSITES".

As above document exceptions.

Are we putting the cult of compliance above the needs of users?
WE CAN WISH IT WEREN’T SO   — but we can’t make it not so…

I am as frustrated as anyone — except those that must deal with this reality every day.  for them the frustration is immensely greater.

I do deal with this every day - I live with my cognitive disability and many of the things that make my life and that of many other infinitely harder can be solved by clarity of design. Clear design is as important as good mark up.

but lets not have frustration at facts - blurr our vision.    or we will not see clearly that which we can do.  or we will poison the the things that can be there — with things that can’t - and they will not take any of it up and use it.  they won’t be able to.