Re: Supplementary document for WCAG 2.1

To me the biggest gap in getting the needs met for people with Cognitive
disabilities is a killer AT. Early in computing innovative people serving
the blind rolled up their sleeves and did the hard work necessary to invent
a technology that revolutionizes the lives of people with disabilities.
Building on that partnership, WCAG 1.0 provided guidance to authors to
optimize the use of screen readers on the web.

We can bring the plumbing to the door, as we tried to do in WCAG 2,
http://davidmacd.com/blog/wcag-for-low-vision-cognitive-disabilites.html

but I think ultimately the break through for people with Cognitive
disabilities will be software that analyses language, and UI's and delivers
content in a way that is simplified or specialized, we can piggy back on
that with requirements that optimize the use of this AT on the web.
Unfortunately, this is speculation right now, and unlike 1998 when there
was 10 years of screen reader history, we have no history of this
theoretical AT.

Inventors, where are you? and where have you been for 25 years?

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902