Re: Proposal for moving COGA SC forward

>>As I see it, a “pillar” is a somewhat theoretical construct, but ultimately there would >> need to be a guideline that is aligned with each of the pillars
>>for COGA support.

Does it mean a 'pillar' is at the same level as a principle?
Is a new layer being injected into the WCAG layers of guidance?
Can 'pillars' be made to apply only to COGA related guidelines / SC
and not others?
If yes, will this not complicate the framework and  introduce some
inconsistency?
Is such a change within the scope of 2.1 as conceived?
Thanks and best wishes,
Sailesh

On 5/24/17, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> LinkedIn
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmacdonald100>
>>
>> twitter.com/davidmacd
>>
>> GitHub <https://github.com/DavidMacDonald>
>>
>> www.Can-Adapt.com <http://www.can-adapt.com/>
>>

>> *  Adapting the web to all users*
>> *            Including those with disabilities*
>>
>> If you are not the intended recipient, please review our privacy policy
>> <http://www.davidmacd.com/disclaimer.html>
>>
>> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Denis Boudreau (Deque) <
>> denis.boudreau@deque.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> Would those pillars be like a W3C Note, to go along with the guidelines?
>>>
>>> /Denis
>>>

>>> On May 24, 2017, at 14:57, Michael Pluke <Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> I’m interested to understand what these pillars might look like. I’ve
>>> many times argued that I think that several of the
>>> multi-part/multi-bulleted COGA SCs look more like a new WCAG guideline
>>> (the
>>> overall scope of the draft SC) with several underlying SCs represented
>>> by
>>> the different bullets (or parts). We know that WCAG guidelines are not
>>> meant to be precise or testable, it is only the SCs below it that are.
>>>
>>> I think that it is because we are trying to sell these hybrid
>>> guideline/multi-SC proposals as SCs that we hit quite so many
>>> testability
>>> issues. I suspect several of the objections about untestability often
>>> relate to the guideline-like parts of this hybrid construction.
>>>
>>> If we could isolate the potential new guidelines (probably mostly under
>>> the “understandable” principle), we would hopefully be allowed to add
>>> those
>>> to WCAG 2.1 (as there are no testing-related penalties associated with
>>> them). We could then look to see which of the bullets/parts that lie
>>> underneath the guideline might be robust enough to include in 2.1 and
>>> proceed with these. All the other bullets/parts could appear in some
>>> form
>>> in the supplemental document. If, at a later date, testable SCs related
>>> these bullets/parts can be identified they could easily be added into
>>> future versions of WCAG – and they would already have a guideline under
>>> which they could sit.
>>>
>>> If this way of viewing our work is accepted, we would be looking for
>>> those very narrow and precisely scoped items for trying to get into WCAG
>>> 2.1. Every time I have tried to identify these small wins, they have
>>> been
>>> worked on and developed to increase their scope (a laudable aim but
>>> perhaps
>>> a self-defeating strategy). We’ve never dared to proceed with a nice
>>> simple
>>> SC proposal because we continue to aim for the stars.
>>>
>>> Maybe its time to bite the bullet and try to get a few small wins rather
>>> than continue with several bold failures?

>>> guidance. The pillars would likely be based on ideas from the COGA
>>> Roadmap
>>> and Gap Analysis document (https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/m
>>> aster/gap-analysis/#roadmap---tables-of-user-needs
>>> <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Frawgit.com%2Fw3c%2Fcoga%2Fmaster%2Fgap-analysis%2F%23roadmap---tables-of-user-needs&data=02%7C01%7C%7C2a805808aae3407fd5b408d4a2d1c58b%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636312469223990412&sdata=IeGrM93cQ%2FwgPty33yqMZ6t1QbISURKj71%2FDbvcfaIE%3D&reserved=0>)
>>> and would provide a structure for 6-8 WCAG 2.1 SC and the additional
>>> guidance within the supplementary document would follow the same
>>> pattern.
>>>
>>> This will require some additional work on the part of the COGA TF and
>>> from this group as the current proposals may not fit precisely with the
>>> pillars. We would be looking to draw from the SC proposals made earlier