might be last option for plain language

Hiwe have at working draft semantics for personlization like coga-action and coga-easylang that would alow people to conform to the plain language proposal via personlization ( see https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics )

I understood from this group that they do not want to rely on this for conformance, however with the plain language sc as written you can either change the text or use the personlization semantics.  In other words the free speach is not an issue

Does this seem to be a way forward?

All the best

Lisa Seeman

LinkedIn, Twitter

---- On Tue, 16 May 2017 16:24:01 +0300 John Foliot<john.foliot@deque.com> wrote ----

  +1 support for the tightened scope
  -1 for "word lists" (Common Words)
  -1 for "easy-to-set user setting."

Details follow.

**********

Hi Lisa, COGA TF members,

I strongly agree with the tightened scope to error messages, instructions, labels and navigational elements, although like others I think we need to tighten / supply a definition for "navigational elements", as in the abstract *any* link can be used for "navigation".

Do you actually mean content used in a 'menu'? In other words, instead of "navigational elements" perhaps "navigational menus" or "navigational menu items" (with a note in the Understanding prose that states that in HTML, menu is defined as content contained within either the <nav> element, or a container with role="navigation" applied)?  I suspect however that this is a minor and trivial point.

At the risk of this feeling like another pile-on however...

Common Words

> Provide words or phrases from a public core vocabulary

Provide how? Where? ​I​
n any specific format?​ For what purpose?
A "word list" minus definitions is simply a list of 1500 words...​​

As Gregg notes, myself and others have questioned the mechanics of this in a practical sense, and we're simply not at a point technologically t​o make this useful. For example the Draft, and your explanation further states:

​> Also using the coga-simplelang  attribute will allow people to keep uncommon words and allow AT to replace them.

While I share the enthusiasm of the work happening around the Proposal: COGA Semantics to Enable Personalization, we must accept today that this is still but a proposal, and not yet at the point where it is a stable, implementable W3C technology. Referencing it as a potential solution is optimistic, and additionally I think that is more appropriate in the Techniques section, but until such time as we have (two independent) robust implementations of the proposal, it remains simply an interesting and useful work in progress.

> Non-literal language is not used, or can be automatically replaced, via an easy-to-set user setting.

Which​ easy-to-set setting are you referring to?​ I am unaware of this feature in any commercial browser today, and while I think we all want browsers to do a better job in personalization and granular user-settings, the reality is that this is and will remain a user-agent requirement, and not an authoring requirement (unless the intent here is to force authors to create that easy-to-set setting, which I suspect will receive a TON of push-back).

​This is not to say​ that we should ignore the need for Non-literal language (especially in the context of the tightened scope), but I think we need to drop the exception for now as unworkable and unsupported.

I think we can safely say that (for) error messages, instructions, labels and navigational (menu) elements, (they) must not use non-literal language. (Period. And ensure that a definition exists for non-literal language.)

While testing for this requirement will still require some subjective determination (at the same level of determining whether an 'alt text' is appropriate or not), I will suggest that I think that would be an acceptable 'middle-ground' response, especially if/when we provide a good definition and examples of non-literal versus literal language. (i.e. saying that "it is raining cats and dogs" does not mean that animals are falling from the sky...)

JF