From: Stefan Johansson [mailto:stefan.johansson@funka.com]
Sent: 11 May 2017 16:32
To: Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL <ryladog@gmail.com>; alands289@gmail.com; Michael Pluke <Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com>; 'David MacDonald' <david100@sympatico.ca>
Cc: 'Andrew Kirkpatrick' <akirkpat@adobe.com>; 'WCAG' <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: SV: Follow up from the meeting on Issue 14: timeouts

Hello!
I am new as an invited expert so I am not familiar with the procedures but I have something to say in this discussion.

  *   For many people it is a good thing to declare that there is a time limit (especially for people who by any reason work slow or need coffee brakes)
  *   For many people the knowledge of an existing time limit is very stressful and it will make them perform bad just by knowing that a limit is presence (especially for people with some cognitive difficulties)

If a time limit is set properly, let’s say 99 % of the user will never be affected by the limit. If no information is given in advance they will never know there was a limit. The people who really need to know about the time limit is the one approaching close/closer to the limit. Then it will be a useful information even for people who will get stressed about knowing about the limit. So I think a good solution is to display the information when a certain amount of time has passed. If you ask me for the formula for figuring out what time that should be I don’t know.

I recently did a test where people in my research group (25 persons with different cognitive disabilities) tested booking seats on a theatre. An information was given that they had 100 seconds to finish the reservation of the specific seat they wanted. Two users directly stopped and declared that they could not go on due to stress (two persons within the autism spectrum). The rest easily finished the task under 20 seconds. With no information about the time limit I think all users would have finished the task within 20-30 seconds. So in this case a better solution would be to display the time limit information after say 45 seconds combined with an option to prolong the 100 second time limit.

So I think the context where the time limit is used is very important. Mikes example of working on something for an hour and then loose information due to inactivity for 10 minutes is perhaps another type of time limit related problem. In that case information upfront maybe would not be so stressful. But I have not tested that scenario. All I can say is that probably not all people with cognitive disabilities will benefit from knowing that there is a time limit.

Best regards
Stefan

Stefan Johansson | Ideolog

+46 708 23 10 64