From: Gregg Vanderheiden <greggvan@umd.edu<mailto:greggvan@umd.edu>>
Date: Friday, May 12, 2017 at 08:37
To: Stefan Schnabel <stefan.schnabel@sap.com<mailto:stefan.schnabel@sap.com>>
Cc: Jason J White <jjwhite@ets.org<mailto:jjwhite@ets.org>>, David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca<mailto:david100@sympatico.ca>>, Katie GMAIL <ryladog@gmail.com<mailto:ryladog@gmail.com>>, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com<mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>>, WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Follow up from the meeting on Issue 14: timeouts

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu<mailto:greggvan@umd.edu>

On May 12, 2017, at 8:22 AM, Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com<mailto:stefan.schnabel@sap.com>> wrote:

>>> ANY SC THAT REQUIRES A WARNING ABOUT TIME OUTS   should have an exception for real time events.

Isn’t the info about time out already an integral part of the event itself? Does it make sense NOT having this info and warn extra for it?
What sense would make an online auction without a permanent countdown counter info?

 Not all auctions have fixed time ending.  Some end when bidding stops.
Also auctions were just one example.

  *   games
  *   commenting during a meeting  (must complete comment before meeting ends  — or you will lose all text entered up to meeting end)
  *   asking a question after a presentation and before the next one.   Even the moderator does not know how long there is for response since they move on when questions stop coming in.

there are many places where there are time limits for doing something or entering data where it is not under the control of the author.

And are there types of real time events where an exception would be nevertheless inappropriate and I want to be informed?
For instance, a hotel room booking scenario.

Not sure I follow.    can you explain?

lets say there are limited rooms and you need to register for them before they run out.    But no one knows when that will be.

I’m not saying that ANYTHING that has to do with real time —

Im just saying that there are places where real-time is natural part of something and there is no way to warn people about everything.    So we need to think through where it is reasonable and where it is not — and require a warning where it is reasonable — and have an exception for when it is not.

The question is are there scenarios where data loss plays no role but are time based? These are candidates for “do not apply”.

can you unpack "where data loss plays no role but are time based?”

I don’t follow.   I thought this was about data loss.     did you mean to have “no” in the sentence?

thx

-          Stefan