Re: Another way forward? (Just an idea for discussion)

On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 10:27 +1000, David Wood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

[...]
> > Well, "a manifistation" is a different word from "a manifest".
> > There's
> > no such thing as a frbr manifest. A manifest in PWP means a list of
> > files. The BigRetailer adds a new entry to the list of files in the
> > publication, the "teaser".
> >

> That is all true. It is also true that the word "manifest" (not
> "manifestation") is used in other places in a FRBR context.

I've just reviewed the PWP draft and don't see any occurrences of
"manifest" as a noun (as opposed to "manifestation") being used in a
FRBR sense; if the FRBR people are being sloppy with language
elsewhere, or if others are, I'm not sure there's anything we can do,
since "manifest" is the usual term for a list of contents both in
English (e.g. a shipping list, as the draft mentions) and in computing,
and the draft introduce the terms carefully.

But again, you could make specific suggestions as issues against the
document. I don't think asking the EPUB people to drop the word
"manifest" will fly, even if "manifest.xml" files might become
deprecated in the future... but if the reference to the FRBR
"manifestation" is confusing for people, maybe it could be clarified
with a note like,

   The term "manifestation" is used in this section as defined in FRBR;
   The term "manifest" is used throughout this specification to mean
   a resource (a file) containing a list of references to other
   resources, in the manner of a shipping list, or a list of things
   that needed to be downloaded for offline use.

when the FRBR concept is mentioned? It seems a little pedantic, but
avoiding confusion is a good thing.

Maybe we should take this off the list at this point, sorry folks.

Thanks,

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>