Re: Is Java Web Start covered by WCAG?

Hi all,

Definition(s):

content (Web content)

information and sensory experience to be communicated to the user by means
of a user agent <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#useragentdef>, including
code or markup that defines the content's structure
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#structuredef>, presentation
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#presentationdef>, and interactions

​
user agent

any software that retrieves and presents Web content for users

*Example: *Web browsers, media players, plug-ins, and other programs —
including assistive technologies <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#atdef> —
that help in retrieving, rendering, and interacting with Web content.
​

If when it is run it uses HTTP to get its content

Hmmm... while in principle I tend to agree with this sentiment (along with
the addition of HTTPS), that is not part of the
definition, and I would argue, rightfully so.

In theory, a PDF attached to an email could/would still be 'governed' by
WCAG 2.0 (especially given how much extra WCAG 2.0.stuff - Techniques,
etc., are PDF-focused), yet that email would not necessarily be using the
HTTP protocol.

PhoneGap wraps web content that uses HTTP.  So does that make PhoneGap a
user agent?

Per the definitions above, I would argue yes. The goal of PhoneGap is/was
to allow developers to write their applications using the standard
HTML/CSS/JavaScript stack, and then place that 'application' inside of a
wrapper to emulate a native application (http://phonegap.com/).

Since the developer / content-author is using basic web technologies, I
would argue then that WCAG applies to PhoneGapped apps as well (or at
least, it should), as PhoneGap is, in effect, the user-agent. (Q: isn't
part of the work of the MATF also looking at accessibility of native apps
too?)

> (is)
Java Web Start is covered by WCAG
​?​
 He
​ [JamesN]​
said, "The application is started from
​
a URL and the application is downloaded, installed updated and run
​
directly when clicking on a URL in a web page."

Web Start programs are no longer an integrated part of the web page, they
are independent applications that run in a separate frame.

Programmers often speak of the *Java Network Launching Protocol* (*JNLP*)
interchangeably with the term "Web Start". The JNLP protocol, defined with
an XML <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML> schema, specifies how to launch
Java Web Start applications.

JNLP works in a similar fashion to how HTTP/HTML works for the web. For
rendering <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser_engine> an HTML webpage
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webpage>, after the user clicks on a
weblink, the browser submits a URL to a webserver
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webserver>, which replies with an HTML file.
The browser then requests the resources referred to by this file (images,
css <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_style_sheets>), and finally
renders the page once it has received enough information. Page rendering
usually starts before all resources have downloaded; some resources not
critical to the layout of the page (such as images) can follow on
afterwards.

JNLP mirrors this process; in the same way that a Web browser renders a
webpage, a JNLP client "renders" a Java app
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_application>. After the user clicks on
a weblink, the browser submits an URL to a webserver, which replies with a
JNLP file (instead of a HTML file) for the application. The JNLP client
parses this file, requests the resources specified (jar files), waits for
the retrieval of all required resources, and then launches the application.
The JNLP file can list resources as "lazy", which informs the JNLP client
that the application does not need those resources to start, but can
retrieve them later on when/if the application requests them.
(source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Web_Start
​)​

​<opinion>
Asking about Web Start is, to me, asking the wrong question. If Web Start
is used to transport and then launch a User Interface-based application or
content​, I'd argue that yes, it is in scope in the same way that PDF is in
scope. But that's just me, and I think James is correct in asking for a
definitive 'ruling' here. I'd vote Yes, content delivered via Web Start
should be WCAG compliant as well.

</opinion>

JF

--