Re: Potential clarification of Web Content/User Agent

>"without the need for it to be downloaded locally to a user's environment
first (though even here issues of local cache for UAs may need to be at
least aknowledged/outscoped). And a user agent is anything that can access
and display/process web content directly from a URI without the need for it
to be run locally, of sorts"

You can see that its a difficult problem we struggled with, and I don't
think this gets us much closer, and changing for perhaps minor improvement
may just pick at the scab and cause all kinds of problems. The next version
in Silver may just strip away the http part of it and talk about "Content"
rather than web pages.

Actually, the term "web content" is not in even ONE success criteria. It is
used in the introduction and supporting material and definitions, which is
why its in the glossary, but the SCs rely on the definition of Web Page
which is more specific than the definition of web content. The key is URI.

Web page

a non-embedded resource obtained from a single URI using HTTP plus any
other resources that are used in the rendering or intended to be rendered
together with it by a user agent
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#useragentdef>

*Note 1: *Although any "other resources" would be rendered together with
the primary resource, they would not necessarily be rendered simultaneously
with each other.

*Note 2: *For the purposes of conformance with these guidelines, a resource
must be "non-embedded" within the scope of conformance to be considered a
Web page.

*Example 1: *A Web resource including all embedded images and media.

*Example 2: *A Web mail program built using Asynchronous JavaScript and XML
(AJAX). The program lives entirely at http://example.com/mail, but includes
an inbox, a contacts area and a calendar. Links or buttons are provided
that cause the inbox, contacts, or calendar to display, but do not change
the URI of the page as a whole.

*Example 3: *A customizable portal site, where users can choose content to
display from a set of different content modules.

*Example 4: *When you enter "http://shopping.example.com/" in your browser,
you enter a movie-like interactive shopping environment where you visually
move around in a store dragging products off of the shelves around you and
into a visual shopping cart in front of you. Clicking on a product causes
it to be demonstrated with a specification sheet floating alongside. This
might be a single-page Web site or just one page within a Web site.

user agent

any software that retrieves and presents Web content for users

*Example: *Web browsers, media players, plug-ins, and other programs —
including assistive technologies <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#atdef> —
that help in retrieving, rendering, and interacting with Web content.

content (Web content)

information and sensory experience to be communicated to the user by means
of a user agent <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#useragentdef>, including
code or markup that defines the content's structure
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#structuredef>, presentation
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#presentationdef>, and interactions

Cheers,
David MacDonald