Re: Adapting Text proposals for next week's survey. (was Re: Adding Greg L's Adapting Text proposals to the Wiki in anticipation of a vote between J&K and H&I)

On 20/04/2017 21:48, David MacDonald wrote:
> "tautological" wow... quite the word, had to look it up.
>
> Content provided at an HTTP address which can be consumed by a user
> agent is considered content.
>
> However, the intention was not to consider programs etc. that had to be
> "downloaded" as content. Your exe file is a perfect example. We tried to
> distinguish content from the use case where the internet was used as a
> delivery mechanism instead of postal mailing a CD of a program, etc...
> The important thing is that web content can be interacted with while at
> the http address. The thing that makes PDF and now Word documents
> content, is that they are at an HTTP address and can be opened in a browser.

So only content that is natively supported by browsers or has plugins
for those browsers available? Because currently then the definition of
https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#useragentdef does not make that clear.

And on that topic then, are there plugins to render ODF and OOXML
directly in browser, as a plugin?

> It may not be a perfect definition but it has been sufficient for 15
> years and is sufficiently defined enough that people working in our
> field have been able to explain it to our clients the distinction, and
> they could make logical decisions. We understand that the delineation of
> the Web and OS is becoming increasingly blurred. Perhaps that can be
> solved in Silver. We've tried to address some of the blurring with the
> WCAG2ICT document.

If the definitions could be tightened in WCAG 2.1 already that'd be
preferable. Because as it stands many practictioners (yes, I've also had
my 16 or so years in the field) will have their own subtly different
working understanding of what is and isn't strictly "web" content (and
certainly WCAG principles can be made to apply to anything falling
outside of the definition, but for clarity the core document should make
it crystal clear - the current circular logic of "web content is
anything rendered in a UA" + "a UA is anything that renders web content"
isn't all too helpful)

Patrick H. Lauke