Re: SC #78 'Adapting text', and a question regarding consensus on icon fonts

On 20/04/2017 15:44, David MacDonald wrote:
> So a font icon that passes 2.1 would look something like this:
>
> <i class="fa fa-myfont" role="img" aria-hidden="true"></i><span
> class="sr-text>replacement</span>

ONLY if the style sheet used for testing explicitly included a style
rule that did NOT change the font for anything with a role="img". And
I'd argue that this type of exemption can't be made, as that relies
purely on following a non-normative technique suggestion.

My hardline view here is that icon fonts in general do not withstand
generic font replacement on the part of the user. The test should not
try to special-case these sorts of non-standard constructs, as they'd
only work in the real world if all users/font switchers also implemented
the suggested style selector special-casing these constructs.

Patrick H. Lauke