Re: Question on 4.1.1 Parsing - what it covers

This was a carefully negotiated and precarious issue in WCAG2. Some were
very vocal and very strong about requiring full validation. In the end the
consensus was that we did not want Accessibility Budgets being used up
chasing down ampersands (&) and trivial things that browsers and AT have
overcome. We wanted accessibility budgets to only be allocated to
validation issues that impacted AT, and accessibility. This was the list we
came up with. Some people like the folks at WebAim would like us to
consider completely removing 4.1.1.

I personally feel that we came up with a reasonable balance with the
current requirements. Maybe in an WCAG.NEXT we'll review and give WebAim an
ear to present their case, and also those who would like to see more
validation requirements.

David & Kirsten MacDonald