RE: Question on 4.1.1 Parsing - what it covers

+1 to Christophe.

(Although I also agree with Jason that this meets the technical requirement defined by 4.1.1, but that there may remain some User Agent issues not captured or addressed)

JF

From: Christophe Strobbe [mailto:strobbe@hdm-stuttgart.de]
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 11:50 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question on 4.1.1 Parsing - what it covers

Hi Katie,

As far as I understand, SC 4.1.1 covers only the four parsing errors that are explicitly mentioned, and no other ones.

Best regards,

Christophe

On 12/01/2016 18:28, Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL wrote:

Folks,

Do we as the Working Group consider 4.1.1 Parsing to include ONLY the 4 specific examples identified in the Success Criteria, or, do we believe that 4.1.1 Parsing to includes those 4 examples plus other things where parsing failures might affect AT?  (I know that a doctype declaration is NOT a parsing failure).

​​​​​This 4 things listed in 4.1.1 are:

1.      elements have complete start and end tags,

2.      elements are nested according to their specifications,

3.      elements do not contain duplicate attributes,

4.      and any IDs are unique,

except where the specifications allow these features.

I have been at organizations where this is broader than those 4 items, and at places where those 4 sre strickly adhered to, and no other parsing issue are identified as failing 4.1.1.

Steve Faulkners tool and blog (https://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2015/11/wcag-2-0-parsing-criterion-is-a-pita/) seem to support the 4 items only.

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Senior Accessibility SME (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)

Cell: 703-371-5545 | ryladog@gmail.com <mailto:ryladog@gmail.com>  | Oakton, VA |  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/katieharitosshea/> LinkedIn Profile | Office: 703-371-5545

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

“It is possible to make a living making free software for freedom
instead of closed-source proprietary malware for cops.”
Jacob Appelbaum,
 <http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/> <http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/>