Re: New SC relating to notifications of content change (was Re: Some thinking around the orientation discussion)

On 06/05/2016 13:48, Jonathan Avila wrote:
>> I think WCAG currently lacks an SC that essentially says something
>> along the lines of "When content/structure/functionality is changed
>> dynamically (either automatically or as a result of a user
>> interaction), ensure that this change is conveyed to the user"
>> (probably single or double A).
>
> I believe this would currently fall under SC 4.1.2.    That SC talks
> about events and APIs and that is the likely way this information
> would be communicated.
>
> For example, F20: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 and 4.1.2 due to
> not updating text alternatives when changes to non-text content occur
> is mapped to SC 4.1.2

I interpret 4.1.2 as relating to the controls (making sure they're
updated to reflect a change), but not directly about notifying the user
about changes that happened elsewhere on the page (for cases like search
results dynamically changing when a user ticks/changes filter options
above them or something).

Patrick H. Lauke