Re: Do icons fall under - 1.3.3 question for shapes/icons alone that are used everywhere now but were not back in 2008

On 25/04/2016 15:40, Jonathan Avila wrote:
>>> I thought there might already be a touch counterpart to hover,
>>> in
>> which case it could readily be used for this purpose.
>
>> There isn't (with a few minor exceptions, such as certain stylus
>> implementations on certain devices, like the Galaxy Note II)
>
> For what it's worth on native Android TalkBack appears to send hover
> events when explore by touch is used.  In Chrome with TalkBack on
> Android when you double tap an element such as a paragraph of text a
> hover event is triggered.

 From my testing
http://patrickhlauke.github.io/touch/tests/results/#mobile-tablet-touchscreen-assistive-technology-events
using http://patrickhlauke.github.io/touch/tests/event-listener.html in
Android 6 with Chrome and Talkback, using touch to explore does not fire
mouseover when going over my test button which has event listeners
attached to it.

When double-tapping/activating the button, mouseover is indeed fired,
but only as part of the entire series of activation events (touch
events, mouse events, click).

>  If you hook a mouse to an Android device
> and move the pointer around you will hear speech and the TalkBack
> cursor will move around.

Indeed, using a paired mouse, it will fire the expected mouse events
(including mouseover) that you'd also get on a desktop (in recent
versions of Android)
http://patrickhlauke.github.io/touch/tests/results/#mobile-tablet-keyboard-mouse-events

Generally though, note the question was about touch, and I would posit
this is also about users NOT running Talkback (if we're considering, for
instance, user groups with cognitive disabilities who may not
necessarily run TB).

Patrick H. Lauke