Re[2]: CfC: Checkbox and Radio button labels and 1.3.1

Paul,

Just to be clear - the original thread brought up a couple of
interesting issues.

1)  There are no examples of radio button or checkbox without a visible
label that is programmatically connected to the input so that you can
click on the label to check the checkbox or radio button.

2) You raised the issue that always having a clickable label is a
desirable thing. In many cases the larger the better, as it makes these
controls accessible to many users. All well and good, and no-one in the
group would say this is a bad thing.

However, to comment on the second item first, and on clickable labels in
general -  it just may not be desirable in *all* cases to mandate that
developers do this - it may not be a suitable pattern depending on the
environment, the way a form is put together etc. This is one of the main
blockers to your original suggestion/issue IMO. So we are hesitant in
suggesting that the group takes this direction. Yes, we have spoken
about this at length on the calls and are discussing it here and the
consensus supports our decision to leave things as they are. Again, no
one is saying that per say, clickable labels are bad but they may just
not be appropriate in all situations and our spec needs to provide
gestalt guidance, and then as you drill down into our resources -
specific suitable techniques that support a wide range of use cases.

As to the first point, I don't understand how a user is supposed to
click on a non-visible label in the first place? Could you comment
further on what you are thinking? Do you mean that even if a label isn't
visible the 'hit area' may still be active as if there was a visible
label?

Finally, on the first point, as Andrew points out we have existing
examples of there inputs can be connected to visible label via
aria-labelledby by and for/id combinations and even when there are no
labels you can use the well supported @title attribute on <input>
elements. All good. So no-one is arguing against programmatically
determined relationships, and we are aware that we need to keep our
techniques up to date as development and design patterns change (and are
actively working on this).

So I look forward to more input from you on this, actually it would be
great if you could attend a call to discuss - as this topic is
interesting nuanced discussion - and may point the way to wider issues
that the group need to deal with.

Thanks

Josh