Re: CfC: Checkbox and Radio button labels and 1.3.1

aria-labelledby is an explicit association between an element and the id of another element whereas a checkbox and a text string inside the same paragraph have no explicit association and I don’t see how they could have a relationship just because they’re in the same paragraph. I understand that passes for link purpose in context but I didn’t think for info and relationships?

AWK: Based on the call and the 15 attendees there, I believe that people would prefer that the explicit association was required, but agree that WCAG 2.0 doesn’t currently require it.

Does that mean that form inputs with error messages below the input or input format instructions don’t really need to be associated with the error and info strings? They can just be in the same paragraph? Or in close proximity?

AWK: We would need to look at that separately.

I did not think that you could claim WCAG conformance based on how good of a guesser a particular screen reader is. I know that JAWS does lots of guessing and VoiceOver does some as well whereas NVDA does not.

I’m sure that screen readers would say that they aren’t guessing but that they have algorithms that make a determination that may not account for some cases, and if you test and verify that a particular page works correctly that is due to their algorithm working correctly.

I really hope we’re not promoting that these methods can pass WCAG!

“Promoting" is not what we are doing. The reason that the explicit approaches are in the techniques is because that is what we want to promote.  However, that doesn’t mean that other approaches cannot pass (or avoid failing, take your pick).

AWK